It’s time to get started on your Fall Home Maintenance checklist. As the weather cools down we start preparing the home for the cold damp weather and that also means shutting down some of the outdoor systems.
- Check your home for water leaks. Watch this short video of more information on where to look.
- Paint the exterior wood and metal trim of the home. Water damage is a destructive force to homes and good roof and exterior maintenance is important.
- Have a professional HVAC company perform a review and maintenance check-up on the heating systems. This will help keep the system safe, efficient and long lasting.
- Protect your home from frozen pipes.
- Test your emergency generator.
- Have a certified chimney sweep inspect and clean the flues and check your fireplace damper.
- Remove any birds’ nests from chimney flues and outdoor electrical fixtures.
- Clean off the covers and change the batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors/alarms.
- Replace window screens with storm windows.
- Run all gas-powered lawn equipment until the fuel is gone.
- Blow out your lawn irrigation system.
- Clean the gutters, ensure downspouts are discharging away from the home, review the roof covering, and look for any drainage issues near the foundation.
View a quarterly home maintenance checklist at https://evergreenpropertyinspectors.com/seasonal-home-maintenance-checklist/ and take care of the home that takes care of you!
Evergreen Property Inspectors is a member of ASHI, InterNACHI, and in the State of Illinois which has a licensing program we are properly licensed for home inspection and radon measurement services. Evergreen has inspectors living around the St. Louis area in Missouri and Illinois where we provide residential and commercial property inspections for clients looking to live or invest in our region. Contact us to book our services. Click on our Resources tab to view the standards of practice that our team follows.